Another Tropical M40 with a sweatband ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Tropical M40 with a sweatband ?

What is your opinion on this M40 ? Is this an acceptable form of sweatband on an original M40 cap ? Thanks
    Attached Files

Here are the grommets inside & out, what about it ?
    Attached Files

Comment

Seems OK from what is being shown. Sometimes the eyelets splayed over the backing washers when crimped, I've seen that many times. Although not shown, the sweatband may have a piece of stiff black tape sewn in as well. Sweatbands are 'usually' comprised of (3) pieces of material.

Robt.

Comment

Hi Robert

Thanks for reply, thought i have seen this kind of grommets/washers before on original later style tropical M40's without the soutache ? Am not as comfortable as when i see this type compared to the "standard classic" version shown below from another cap. & yes the sweatband is made up of the three components.

Over 100 looks, anybody else have any thoughts ?

Tim
        Attached Files

Comment

Tim, I owned an RF # cap that had the same. It's simply a matter of how a worker operated the eyelet crimp machine or maybe an issue with the batch of eyelets themselves. Not an issue in my book that's for sure.

Robt.

Comment

Thanks agian Robert

Here is a slightly better pic of the insignia application...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 04-23-2015, 04:59 PM. Reason: added photo

Comment

I'd like to see a side profile shot, and one of the interior- to show any maker's marks, etc.

Comment

Still working on getting more photos of this interesting cap. Robert has summed it up well, everything so far looks good with nobody saying otherwise with 200 looks ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim OK View Post
                  What is your opinion on this M40 ?
                  I like it.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Well Hello Mr Singer, this is a pleasant surprise, thanks so much for your comment. Am thinking you already recognized the maker, i know some of you have already ?

Apologize to all for taking such a long time to get it together on this thread. Going through two of our members to help get the photos from the owner & wanted to build up this caps case from the ground up as it were.

Here are a few more pics...
                    Attached Files

Comment

interior
                      Attached Files

Comment

And now the maker stamp compared to one from the same maker's sidecap. I know these caps have been labled fake by a few collectors, buy am thinking its time for abit of a re-think on these, if the parts are good then its a good cap....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tim, interesting indeed.
                          A sidenote question : why this maker would have used different grommets for its tropical caps and sidecaps ?
                          derka

Comment

Originally posted by derka View Post
                            Tim, interesting indeed.
                            A sidenote question : why this maker would have used different grommets for its tropical caps and sidecaps ?
                            derka
                            Good question, and why use the different eagle application ? But have seen other makers use different grommets and insignia application before too though seldom.

Here is an HB sidecap for comparison....
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 04-26-2015, 04:35 AM.

Comment

I'm going to go agains't the current as I still have issues with these caps.
                              The grommets are not the same as used by the same maker at the same time (same month, even, judging by the stamp, although the size font proves another stamp was in action). The exterior shells are clearly painted, not enamelled. Alarm bells should be ringing. These would (if manufactured in the same factory) come straight out of a bin system - not a case of M40's one type, side-caps use the other.
                              A sub-contractor? OK - then where are all the other examples of this big order which should have shown up by now in veteran or un-issued 'Bee-Hive' stash? How many are out there...
                              I am not yet convinced.
                              Regards,
                              Mark
                              NZ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X