oorlogsspullen

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IJN Officer Sword (signed & matching #'s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJN Officer Sword (signed & matching #'s)

I just picked up this IJN sword. This is my first IJN blade and first signed blade as well. I'm curious if anyone can help me out with a few questions. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

- can anyone identify the signature on the tang

- can anyone identify the writing on the handle

- based on the signature and being an IJN sword how does this rate on rarity or desirability.

- there is a little wiggle and looseness between the handle and tsuba, I'm not sure if I am missing a piece or not. Can anyone tell.

thanks.

Sammy T.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SammyT; 01-22-2014, 07:46 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm, these ones always case me to wonder about their manufacture. Is it a late war Navy sword utilizing any available parts or simply a post war put together parts sword. I see a Navy marked blade, possibly stainless, with some Army parts to the tsuka. Several seppa seem to be missing as well. The outline that is usually present when a large rayed seppa was at some time present doesn't seem to be showing either.

As to the kanji, I'll start on it but will probably not be finished by the time Guy gets it done.

Regards,
                    Stu
                    PS: Gunto (Thomas) ... what's your view on these types?

Comment

Stu, thanks for your review and keen eye. For what it's worth, I purchased this sword from the grandson of the vet that brought it back. Not saying that proves or disproves anything, but just letting you know the source. I'm eager to see what the kanji can tell us.

Sammy t.

Comment

"Takayama-Sword"

高山刀正直謹作

Takayama-tou Masanao Kinsaku
                        Takayama-Sword Masanao Proudly Made
                        From what I've read, Takayama-Tou is:

Originally posted by Kenkaku
                        AFAIK, Takayama-To are swords developed by the Japanese navy under direction of Col. Takayama.

Quote:
                        5.ステンレス刀 海軍士官専用のものであって長いこと海上勤務して海水に浸ったり、汐風に当っても錆びな いよう十八クローム鋼を主材料としたものであり、現時各家庭で使用されているステンレス包丁と思えば大差な いが切味は炭素鋼に及ばない※4。
                          本刀は海軍武道師範の高山範士が考案指導したから「高山刀」とも言った。

Ref. http://www.k3.dion.ne.jp/~j-gunto/gunto_127.htm

source
                        If "Kenkaku" is correct and "Takayama-Tou" refers to Navy Captain Takayama Masayoshi .... my teacher interfaced with him on a couple occasions. Here's what he looked like:

source

And I found this image in a Japanese martial arts magazine years ago; it explains about Capt. Takayama's form of martial art "Jissen Budo" [Combat Martial Way]:

EDIT: Magazine Headers:

高山流
                        Takayama-ryū
                        Takayama-Tradition

白兵抜刀術を見る
                        Hakuhei battō-jutsu o miru
                        Let's View Close-Quarters [Hand-to-Hand] Swordsmanship

--Guy
                        Last edited by GHP; 01-22-2014, 08:47 PM. Reason: Explain Magazine Article's Title

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at this GHP, great information. If this in fact is a Takayama-Tou blade, even though we are still unsure about the possibility of mixed or missing parts, would this type of blade impact rarity or value?

Sammy t

Comment

Originally posted by Sammy View Post
                            Thanks for taking the time to take a look at this GP, great information. If this in fact is a Nakayama-Tour blade, even though we are still unsure about the possibility of mixed or missing parts, would this type of blade impact rarity or value?

Sammy t

Hi Sammy,

At this stage of the analysis I'm of the belief that this is a mass produced semi machine made blade with some hand finishing. I hasten to add that this sort of piece is the type where I feel the least confident in offering an opinion so reserve the right to be totally wrong.

Let's hear what others have to say and hopefully we will both learn something new. Till then have a look here ...

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/showato.htm

Regards,
                            Stu

Comment

Stu, that is an excellent link and will definitely be in my favorites folder for future reference.

Sammy T.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X