Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by schönbeck View Post
        mmmmm
        Nice

Comment

Very nice jun.Officer KM cap.

Comment

Gentlemen - I would be interested in your thoughts on the underside of the visor on this cap. Personally, I think it's fine, but it has been suggested by many people in the past that this type of visor underside is a sign of a postwar cap. Recently, Stonemint posted some examples of corrugated patterns on other wartine examples, but it would be nice to have some definitive answer. Again, I believe it's fine (although used occasionally after the war on some BM caps).

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
              Gentlemen - I would be interested in your thoughts on the underside of the visor on this cap. Personally, I think it's fine, but it has been suggested by many people in the past that this type of visor underside is a sign of a postwar cap. Recently, Stonemint posted some examples of corrugated patterns on other wartine examples, but it would be nice to have some definitive answer. Again, I believe it's fine (although used occasionally after the war on some BM caps).

I agree, I like it, but a lot of people do not like the corrugated underside visors.
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Awesome visor with replaced wreath/cockade, IMHO.

Comment

Correct! But when the other 99% of the cap is good you go for it

Comment

This same issue has confused me to Leroy, but in the case of this visor, I do not believe the pattern on the underside of this visor is the same as the "corregated" pattern that has been shown on the post-war caps. This one does not have the long curved grooves of the corregated examples. But it would be nice to see an additional picture with a full view of the underside of the visor.

Comment

As you say many people do not like ... thats me. I don't like the visor, not only the under side but the edge, if good IMO this is not a german made visor. I also don't like sweatband, it remembers me a lot those used by Janke.
                      Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                      Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

I have seen this "visor underside" style used several times on BM caps, with both proper wartime edging (and embroidery) and with the plastic/vinyl edging (and different embroidery) used postwar. Invariably, when the edging and embroidery were of the wartime type, the BM cap was a very early cap from the 1950's. (I have also seen other, more "accepted as wartime", visor underside styles appear on early BM caps).

The KM was a small service. The BM, by comparison, is infinitely smaller. Yet, because of the nature of things, we see 50 BM officer caps for every 1 KM. Are we incorrectly associating this style "visor underside" solely with the BM merely because we have been able to see so many BM caps but do not yet have a fully reliable "baseline" for KM caps because they are so scarce?

It is highly doubtful, IMO, that the embroidered visor component of a cap was normally made by the same company which actually assembled the cap. I have a "feeling" (which I can't prove) that this type visor underside is legitimately wartime, from a supplier which just happened to survive the war and be in a position to supply BM cap manufacturers, first with leftover components and then, later, with newly made visors. The other "wartime visor component" makers either did not survive the war or faded away early on.

It would be nice to know what suppliers made visor components for wartime cap manufacturers and what happened to them postwar.

(By the way, I also like the cap in this thread. The sweatband attachment is reminiscent of Janke, but I don't think that it is Janke. Other wartime caps use this same system, too.)

Comment

Here are 2 pics of the Oakleaf KM Admiral visor--it is different from the one posted in terms of the grooves, but it also empleys the reed system similar to the one that led off the thread. I recall liking it when I inspected it at the SOS some 5 years ago, but I obviously did not have the time to do a detailed inspection. (Back then it was being sold by a small dealer):
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is another KM visor on Oakleaf with the same type of underside. (I am not vouching for it, just posting for comparison):
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

HI

This cap belongs to a friend of mine that bought it from Weitze for 1650e. He have a got a lot of KM stuff from Weitze and more than 50% has been doomed bad.

It has been suggested to me that the chinstrap and buttons might be wrong in some way.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X