• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schinkel

Here is my intermediate Schinkel. Jim
    Attached Files

Comment

Great work Trevor,
      Well as a novice my input isn't really worth much, but with your sterling explanation and the several other outstanding similiar crosses, I believe your conclusion is correct...we now have a Schinkel by unknown maker? There are just to many exact examples! Maybe a Souval??
      Thanks for the thread!!
      Greg

Comment

And another........
        Attached Files

Comment

HERE is another good 'un.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Here's another. (Not mine though).

I hadn't seen this type before and didn't know what it was. The owner of this cross pointed me to this thread so I'll add the pics.

Is the maker known yet?

Rich
            Attached Files
            Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
            Decorations of Germany

Comment

Wasn't this formerly called an 'intermixed' Schinkel? Now I believe it's considered a 'full' Schinkel.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert P. View Post
                Wasn't this formerly called an 'intermixed' Schinkel? Now I believe it's considered a 'full' Schinkel.

Robert
                That's right, Robert. And the maker is still not known.
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Comment

A while ago, before I considered this to be a Schinkel, or half-schinkel, I was offered the ek1 version which I passed on because I thought it was overpriced.
                  I can kick myself every day for that, because I really don't remembered who offered the cross.....

Don't ask me about the hardware on the cross, I really don't remeber it

Comment

Wow!

Now that is interesting news. So what was the reverse hardware...

Originally posted by ben bijker View Post
                    Don't ask me about the hardware on the cross, I really don't remeber it
                    Oh. Never mind.
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Comment

EK2 Schinkel

Another for my colection:
                      Regards
                      Attached Files

Comment

EK2 Schinkel

more pics.....
                        weight: 20,3 gr.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ramon sierra; 10-12-2010, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Very nice, Ramon.

I've just re-read this thread and I realize that it is actually not at all up-to-date with the more recent research, or finds, done by forum members.

For further reading, I will link to THIS THREAD, which really takes the discussion of this type a bit further and links to some other discussions.

And here is a quote from the other thread which basically brings this discussion up to date:

The initial term "Intermixed" or "Halbschinkel" ("Halfschinkel") was coined because it was believed these frames were an intermediate stage between the traditional ~42mm WWI frame shape, and the common ~44mm WWII frame shape. When Daniel wrote his excellent thread about these, that was the thinking.

HERE is another thread on this type, which contains links to a few others in turn.

However, our collective knowledge about this type took a huge step forward recently when Carl (Roglebk) found a match to this frame on a true WWI-made EK2. Thus the term "Intermixed" or "Halbschinkel" should be phased out, in my opinion, in favor of "Schinkel by unknown maker."

HERE is the post in which Carl first revealed his discovery.

By reading the first thread mentioned above, you can see that it was suspected earlier than it was proved that this was a genuine, true Schinkel. Now we know for sure. The next step is to put a maker to it, something that I am sure can be done with a little bit of work. It's a matter of finding the frame on a marked Imperial EK2.
                          And here is a photomontage done by member Robert T. showing the Schinkel and its Imperial counterpart (which is what makes it a Schinkel in the first place, after all):

Best regards,
                          Streptile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X