Close combat list for Stalingrad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close combat list for Stalingrad!

Below is a Nahkampftage liste from a Soldbuch of a member of 3 Infanterie Division (mot.) destroyed at Stalingrad. This lucky guy appears to be on the northern blocking positon near the town of Erzovka and escaped the encirclement of Stalingrad!

Listed are 30 days close combat ....Nr. 2 interesting in that they attacked a train station and captured a train carrying 12 flak guns! The remaining days on the blocking position for Stalingrad hill 141.2 and 139.5, west of Erzovka.

My question is what does the red writting say?
    "Werden nicht auf Nahkampfspange gemaß Allgemeine Heeresmitteilungen 1942, Ziffer 1030 angerichnet?"

Basically I understand it to be that the days do not count for the close combat bar!!!!!! There is another list of 5 days in the Soldbuch counting for the Inf.St.Abz. i. Bronze....these are all from autumn 1943 when the unit was in Italy, this being awarded 22.12.1943......no close combat bar was ever awarded!!!!!!

Thanks, Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

I think it means.The above Days was before the NKS was award..

At November 1942 was the NKS as a new Award.

Hello Ian...

I hoffe das du das lesen kannst Die NKS wurde erst ab 25.11.42 verliehen die vorherigen Nahkampftage wurden nicht mit einbezogen.
    Ich kann dir die Orginal bestimmung aus einem Buch scannen.

Comment

Hi Tommy,
      Thanks for the reply but it is not quite correct. The Nahkampfspange was institued 25.11.1942 but was back dated, otherwise all those days of combat 1941-1942 would not have counted for anything if no award was rendered!

Here are two scans of the "Antrag auf Verleihung der 1 Stufe der Nahkampfspange" to Deutsches Kreuze Inhaber Leutnant Helmut Schumann. Clearly it mentioned for 15 months participation in the Russian campaign.

The award was rendered 28.6.1943.

/Ian
      Last edited by Ian Jewison; 11-25-2002, 02:20 PM.

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

The reverse shows days from 28.9.1941-2.8.1942.
        Attached Files

Comment

Combat days count from June 22nd 1.941 onwards, those combats in Poland, France and the Balkans don't give points to the award of the NKS.

Angel
          Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Here's another one where the days actually start from 25.11.1942. This guy was a Leutnant with 24 Panzer Division and the days are for combat in various Kampfgruppen around Stalingrad......the last 2 are for Italy!
            The award was rendered in this case on 21.3.1944.

/Ian

P.S. Any one any ideas as the exact text and translation to my original question?

Comment

Hello Ian...

I think the Award was checked by Officers and they say it is not to be worn.

ich denke die Auszeichnung wurde nicht bewilligt da es keine nahkampftage sind sondern normale Gefechte.Deswegen das Inf.Sturm.Abz.in Bronze.

Do not points for the NKS.-its the translation..bad but i hope you know...

Ian can you help me another fall i search a Wehrpass by a paratrooper??

Comment

Hi Tommy,
                Attached scans of Inf.Sturm.Abt.i. Bronze....awarded 1 year later after 3 actions in Italy!!!!!
                It is signed by Oberst Henning Schönfeld RKT.....later Kommandeur 2 Panzer Division until retired early 15.12.1944!!!!!!!!!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Reverse............
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice nice.. i have become from a Auction a NKS Document...very interested....Will scan later...

Comment

I think, if I understand you correctly! That simply because the days are "Abwehrkämpf" and not "Nahkmpf" the award was not issued!
                      Stands to reason really, but then the question is why have "Abwehrkämpf" days on a "Nahkampftage" liste???!!!!!

/Ian

Comment

Yes thats right..because by Abwehrkämpfe it is possible that the man fought man to man...but there was it not...(i think) so they so no Nahkampftage....When you read how do you become the Awardlist you can see that the OKW will that this award was won by hard fights(man to man)

Comment

Perhaps it was a predeterminated list of combat days for all units in this particular division and after the actual fight the officers determinated who has been enough close to the enemy to receive this days as Nahkampftages or those who has support from tanks, armoured vehicles and artillery and were not "awarded" these days, remember that the original order state clearly that the combat must be without support of heavy weapons so no artillery and no panzers allowed in this fights.

Angel
                          Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Will have to have a look around and see what action the Division and his Regiment did....as you can see the actions were "defensive combat in the northern blocking positions"...these were I think 15 Km north of Stalingrad but obviously they must have been under constant attack stopping the Red Army in that sector!!!!!

Comment

Yes, I agree with you Ian, they must fight like devils to stop the Red Army, but if they have a couple of Panzer III with them and some armoured carriers is enough to be taken out the Nahkampftage, but they will be Kampftage for the numbered Panzer or General Assault badges.

Angel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X